Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Knowledge Bowl by Joan

I have just returned home from the Junior High Knowledge Bowl Tournament and am happy to announce that the Mesabi East Team took second place. They are now the proud possessors of a trophy. For those of you unfamiliar with Knowledge Bowl (we call it KB for short), it is a competition similar to Jeopardy. I have volunteered as a reader ever since I retired 9 years ago. I get to play Alex Trebeck in my role as reader and actually have more power than he does as we don't have a group of judges sitting off stage to make decisions for us. But then, we don't offer big bucks as prizes either. As I mentioned today was the Junior High Tournament and the teams that competed today had won that opportunity by performing well throughout the season which began in early October. There were 22 teams competing today. Next week we will have the Elementary and Junior Varsity Tournaments. Then we have a vacation until January when the Sr. High season starts.

Today's tournament went on in spite of very bad roads. There were no school closing though so teams showed up for the competition. That is part of life in Northern Minnesota!