Saturday, July 29, 2006

And--She's a Great Hunter!

Emily has been "hunting" this week. She and her husband have a home near Ely and she thought a wood chuck had gotten into her garden. She could not figure out how it got in because there were no holes in the fence and she didn't think it could climb over the top. She decided that she was going to go "hunting" and get to the bottom of it.

She drove over 30 miles to New London Warehouse to rent a live trap ($10 for two weeks--such a deal!).

From Emily: "I watched the little guy eating in the garden and crept up on him as quietly as I could on crunchy grass and stood not more than four feet away from him, eyeball to eyeball. I asked him how he got in and out because the fence was intact and there were no holes. I think he must have climbed the fence! Though the Internet told me they are unlikely to do that if the fence is as high as ours. I made a trail of apple cores and celery ends. And I bolstered the trap with logs so it wouldn't roll and I camouflaged it with leaves and branches. Anyway, a little while later I saw it in the yard and then there was a loud click--Bingo!

"I drove it up to our friends' about 6-1/2 miles away and there was no action from Wednesday night til Saturday at 11:00 when I loaded up and headed home. I'm thinking the young one I also saw might have met a wolf or a coyote."

And now you know--Beware of Walkie Talkies who carry traps in their Toyotas! Some of us wonder if her friends are happy that she released the little varmint near their place!!! We also wish we would have had a photo of her talking to the wood chuck!