Monday, June 05, 2006

Disney World Revisited

Joan has returned from a week at Disney World with all of her children and grandchildren. Following is her report of the trip.

The trip was prompted by my youngest son's inquiry as to whether I had ever been back to Disney since I took the family there in 1977. The reply to that question was no. Son then said, "you should go again sometime". My reply was, "I'd like to". Soooo, on my 70th birthday last fall I received a Micky Mouse with the note, "We are all going to Disney World in May". Three children, their spouses and all 7 grandchildren made the trip arriving on Thursday evening May 18. Also joining us was son Brian's in laws, Charlie and Sharon Guthrie. We stayed at the Carribean Beach Resort and rode a bus to any and all attractions. We all spent a whole day at the Magic Kingdom together and another day at Animal Kingdom together. On the third day some of the folks went to a water park. Daughter Holly and family left Sunday night to go to Cocoa Beach so Kelsey could see the ocean. She had never flown and had never been out of Minnesota so this was a big adventure for her. On Monday those of us remaining went to Epcot for the day. Dan and family left on Tuesday morning. The remaining troops spent Tuesday at MGM. On Wednesday, I returned to Epcot by myself to take in the World Villages. Since Epcot was the main reason I wanted to go to Disney again, this was a most enjoyable day. I had a cheese and wine snack in France and Bratwurst and Kraut for lunch in Germany!

Besides the regular stuff at the parks, our group took in a couple of special events. On our first morning in Disney we had breakfast with the princesses. A real treat for the little girls. A good breakfast too. On Saturday night we took in an event where we went by boat to watch the fireworks. That was a great excursion. We rode the monorail as part of our transportation to that event and the older grands.....5 and up..... were invited to ride in the drivers cab. What a thrill!

In a pole of everyone, the favorite ride was the new one at Epcot called Soarin'. You sat in chairs buckled in and then lifted off so you felt like you were flying while an Imax type of movie of sites in California played out all around you. I found myself raising my feet so I wouldn't his the Golden Gate Bridge and ducking when the golf ball came at me. I almost kicked a surfer and thought sure I was falling off the mountain in the snowing scene.

The weather was very hot while we were there but we survived and did have a wonderful time.





In the first photos grandkids Sarah, Rachel, Jacob and Anna pose in front of a Nemo display. Next is Matthew looking over Captain Hook. Third photo is Natalie and Kelsey visiting with Snow White at the Princess breakfast.